Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Passion Dallas... or the Hospital with BOTH my parents

I was planning to volunteer for the Passion conference in Dallas this past weekend. I had a bud who was going to make the trip with me. We might not get to see all the sessions, but we would certainly be blessed and be a blessing to the students. Maybe bump into Louie, or Matt or Chris... And, I would get to hang with my friend on the road trip, which I was really looking forward to.

But we had another issue arise. My mom had a hernia and a part of her inside got outside, pinched off and died. Bad infection resulted. Very much life threatening stuff.

My wonderful folks are in their 70's and 80's. Mom and Dad stayed at home by themselves, but Dad has some dementia, and needs company to keep safe. So with Mom in the hospital, I stayed with Dad at night, with my brothers helping as well.

Then Dad got a virus, dehydrated and developed pneumonia.

God provided through our Community Group through church. One of our Group members is an ER physician. He called me to check on me, and asked if he could come by and check on Dad. He listened to Dad's lungs and said we should take him to the hospital. My friend and his wife (an ER nurse) called the Dr and Hospital and made arrangements for admiting Dad and helped me transition for several hours. WOW, what a testimony to the provision of God through SMALL GROUP!

Mom has survived the surgery, ICU stay, getting off the vent, and is in long-term recovery. From an 80% mortality rate, she has been delivered by the Grace of God to a road to recovery

Dimentia and hospitals don't mix well. They mix badly to be blunt. He is fine, then wants to go home, we keep him in the bed, he gets mad, the cycle worsens... So you medicate him and put on soft restraints. He gets ugly. It is super stressful for him, I'm sure. And it is unbelievbly stressful for the caregiver. My three brothers are all not Christians yet. It's tough for me to be patient, and tougher for them.

PRAISE GOD, Dad is going home today! I've been sleeping at his house or the hospital for 17 days, with two days off. My wonderful wife has been great, with a couple of small breakdowns in the middle.

There is more to say, next time. I'll conclude with this today: My God shall supply all my needs through His riches in Christ Jesus!

I pray for Dad, for Mom, for my unsaved family, and I praise God for my brothers and sisters in Christ at my church, and particularly my Community Group and Sunday Morning Bible Study.

All for His Fame (easy and hard)! jack

It's been 17 days since Mom got sick. Pr

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.

Isaiah 40:26

Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.

Coolest Things of the Day...

  • I am now the College-Age Minister at my church...Wow, do I need Jesus!